Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Putting off inspiration

A few weeks ago, I woke up with the image of two rivers in my mind, their flow to the ocean along parallel courses, yet never joining.

Fellow travellers, they could share many experiences...the wild rush of water through canyons, the mysterious beauty of subdued light in their depths, the tediousness of sharp rocks that must patiently be worn down to feel comfortable, the feel of small feet splashing along their shores on hot summer days days, and that inexorable pull, silent passion, during their separate journeys to their ocean. In my thoughts as an observer, my own sadness, realizing that each of them has no knowledge of the other's currents coursing a just a short distance from the other. In my mind, I recited the first stanza of what I wanted to write...it seemed indelible then, and I was so sure that I would remember it no matter what would happen during the day, so I didn't take the time to write it down since I had to study for a class.

Of course, a few hours later, the words had vanished. I consoled myself that the original thought was still there somewhere, and that I would find new words to express it again at some future time. Lesson learned, and I'm sharing this with ALL writers...to write this stuff down WHEN I think of it, as I won't remember it later, no matter how much I think that I will. :-)


Medi(t)ation

I have taken refuge
in the resolution of conflict,
the camel’s wet nose slipping
between soft tent folds

Forcefully, he slams
the door in what he
intends to be
her face
caught just in time
by the heel of her
sandaled foot, she
laughs, the sound of
red petals breaking
their back on the floor

The writer, tired
decides now
to sleep
before writing down
her next thoughts

As if she could re-
create
inspiration later!



© Jonathan Bohrn (2005)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home